My A77II from DigitalRev - think I got a "Lemon"...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteveJnerChicago
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
My A77II from DigitalRev - think I got a "Lemon"...
3 months ago

Note that I shoot Birds almost exclusively.

After two days of shooting I have encountered the following...

Pros -

Increased Buffer is great. Better ISO performance 800 to 1600 much better than A77. Never shot above 640 with A77.

With LCD Monitor turned in, so that it is off, WIFI turned Off, and EVF only on when I use it I got 2978 shots before Low Battery Warning came on.

Cons - (and I believe I have a bad processor) over 3000 captures and...

I have yet to be able to get a satisfactorily sharp (Tack Sharp) image. Note this is with Tripod and high Shutter speed.

Have had one instance where Camera locked up and gave me a warning about a problem writing to SDHC Card. After 202 captures, I replaced card and did not happen again and the 202 images were all ok.

Distance limiter does not work the way I think it should or the way I had hoped. With a 70400G it seems the focus range when used is only adjustable between 3 and 10 meters. Bummer as this was a big selling point to me as I wanted it to prevent backround trees from focus lock during BIF shots.

All images seem over exposed, highlights blown out, Live view is on and the final images don't match what I am seeing in EVF. (This may be me getting used to the camera though).

Multiple instances of focus going to a blur. I move the camera to different spots of varying distance from very far to near and the EVF image remains blurred( Have many captures of some of the creamiest Bokeh ever but who cares ) This happens in "C"AF and "A"AF modes. At times it would reset by my changing from one mode to another and other times I've had to turn off the camera to reset it. During these Blurry moments I can see the AF point registering (turning green) which tells me the system has focused but the image does not change and remains blurred.

Buying from DigitalRev means your product ships from Hong Kong and also means your hard copy of the manual is in Chinese so that is useless. It also means I'll have to ship back to China for Warranty service or replacement. I knew I would be getting one of the first production units which could be a problem so that's on me. I have changed some settings in the camera and will go out one more time this morning to verify it's the camera and not me but I think I'll be returning to DigitalRev and ordering direct from Sony

You can see my very first shot, Wood Duck, and some ISO test shots I took Friday and there ok but not what I'm used to with my A77.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53770837

SteveJnerChicago's gear list:SteveJnerChicago's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 300mm F2.8 G +5 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow