Great Blue Herons on the Potomac River at Great Falls, VA.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Strategist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,823Gear list
Like?
Re: Great Blue Herons on the Potomac River at Great Falls, VA.
In reply to GListOverflow, 2 months ago

GListOverflow wrote:

Strategist wrote:

GListOverflow wrote:

Nice pics! I have also found that Lake Fairfax is good for catching herons.

Haven't tried that site yet. Does it get a bit crowded with folks on the weekends? Thanks for the heads up on Lake Fairfax. That's right on the way to Great Falls for me.

-- hide signature --

Tom

I've only been a few times. The near end of the lake is pretty open and is where you can paddle around in small boats, and from what I can tell the people mostly stay on that side. The far end is pretty wooded and seems to generally only get an occasional trail-walker or someone fishing. It isn't super impressive looking but the morning light is pretty good and the Great Blues (and even Greens to some degree) don't mind fishing while you watch. Have also seen a Kingfisher and some Wood Ducks. I have had pretty good luck with just setting up my camp chair next to the water and waiting for things to happen in front of me.

Thanks for the hints. i will definitely have to head over there.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Strategist's gear list:Strategist's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow