What are the best spare batteries for E-M1/E-M5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,055Gear list
Like?
What are the best spare batteries for E-M1/E-M5?
2 months ago

One of the two EXpro batteries I bought for use with my E-M5 two years ago gave up recently. It got a bit swollen and won't slide nicely in and out of the battery compartment any more. Its sibling still works but I fear it'll give up soon too.

So new spares are needed. I looked at EXpro again. They now seem to offer what they didn't offer two years ago: batteries with the same voltage as the original BLN-1, 7.6 V, that will charge in the original charger. But when I checked the reviews on Amazon, the voltage claim appears to be bogus. People evidently got batteries that still say 7.2 rather than 7.6. Quite a few additionally complain that the capacity in practice is significantly lower than for the Oly originals.

The originals are significantly more expensive (some 30 euro at the very least rather than 10). The question is whether they are worth the money or whether there are third party alternatives that do about as well but cost significantly loss. What say you?

Note: Wasabi seems to get a lot of favorable mentions. But as far as I can see, they are not easily available outside the US. I need something that can be ordered from Europe.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RoseNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow