Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hokyungbenjaminbenlee
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Why is Leica mirroless so expensive?
4 months ago

I might sound crazy but I was wondering why the cameras from Leica are so expensive.

I noticed that Leica T (digital mirrorless) has similar specification to Sony NEX 7 series yet the price is almost two to three times more expensive.

Both cameras have 23.4mm x 15.6mm full frame mirroless CMOS sensor with the max shutter speed of 1/4000 sec. In some aspects, NEX 7 is technically better as it goes up to the ISO of 16000 while Leica T only goes up to the ISO of 12500. Furthermore, while NEX 7 has the capability to record 1080p video in RAW (AVCHD) at 60FPS, Leica T only records at 30FPS. I also noticed that while NEX 7 captures at the maximum resolution of 24.3 megapixels, Leica T only captures at the maximum resolution of 16.5 megapixels.

So my question is, why is Leica T around $2500 while Sony NEX 7 is around $700-$800? Is it the design? or is the sensor on Leica technically better? or is the image quality of Leica T significantly better than NEX 7? or is it simply due to the symbolic value of Leica brand?

Furthermore why is Leica M around $8000? It looks quite similar to any other mirrorless cameras.

hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list:hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS LG G2 +3 more
ANSWER:
Leica T Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
QNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow