Time to rethink the KIT LENS idea?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009Gear list
Like?
In some markets, the DA 35 f2.4 was the kit lens
In reply to yardcoyote, 4 months ago

yardcoyote wrote:

I think camera manufacturers should go back to offering a prime as a kit lens, or at least make a prime an option. An optically excellent, reasonably fast prime in some variation of the "normal" focal length would be a break from the endless iterations of the basic slow zoom for someone who wants to start with a genuinely great lens, not one that is (by necessity-- I understand this) compromised.

The strangest change I've seen in my return to photography after a hiatus is the idea that zooms are now the default type of lens, and primes are some kind of weird specialty product. I'll admit I have a personal bias, but the option to choose an excellent fast prime over a basic (and or mediocre) zoom should appeal to artists, enthusiasts, second body buyers who already have a kit zoom, and others who are expected to be a large part of the market for DSLRs in the future. If nothing else, it would be a point distinguishing Pentax from others.

I wish it was offered here too when I bought my K-r I don't know if they still offer it as a kit.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow