Time to rethink the KIT LENS idea?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644Gear list
Like?
Yes. How about a prime?
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 5 months ago

I think camera manufacturers should go back to offering a prime as a kit lens, or at least make a prime an option.  An optically excellent, reasonably fast prime in some variation of the "normal" focal length would be a break from the endless iterations of the basic slow zoom for someone who wants to start with a genuinely great lens, not one that is (by necessity-- I understand this) compromised.

The strangest change I've seen in my return to photography after a hiatus is the idea that zooms are now the default type of lens, and primes are some kind of weird specialty product.  I'll admit I have a personal bias, but the option to choose an excellent fast prime over a basic (and or mediocre) zoom should appeal to artists, enthusiasts, second body buyers who already have a kit zoom, and others who are expected to be a large part of the market for DSLRs in the future.  If nothing else, it would be a point distinguishing Pentax from others.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow