Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelK81
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
D800 - card activity LED on when camera is moved
7 months ago

Ok, so I've dropped the D800 on pavement (back in February, mind you).  Aside from the broken UV filter on my 24-70 which absorbed most of the impact, the camera seemed fine.  That is, until time began to expose a few cracks… so to speak.

One thing that seems to have broken is the release mode dial lock button.  You can push it down alright, it just doesn't lock the release mode dial, which can be freely spun to any setting.  Not a big deal, until you're mid-way through a shoot only to realize the reason why you're shooting so slow is because your mode has been inadvertently switched to Quiet.

Another, rather odd thing, is the green "card activity" LED on the back seems to come-on whenever I move the camera.  Even when it's OFF.  As if the internal sensor was somehow triggering something?  I'm not sure if this is normal or… abnormal.  Frankly, I can't remember if it lit-up before the fall, so if anyone could give me a pat on the back and tell me everything will be alright - I guess that's all I'm asking for.

Luckily, I use both card slots (with the SD card being used as backup), and to-date (3 months after the epic fall), no files (or cards) have been corrupt.  At this point I'm just crossing my fingers.

I'd love to hear what you would do.  Send it in to Melville, and eat-up a potentially expensive bill, or take my chances?

Thanks guys!

-
MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY, New York
Fresh & Modern Family Photography
http://www.michaelkormos.com
----------------------
2014 Workshops Announced!
http://www.michaelkormos.com/_workshops

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow