Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...
In reply to Trevor G, 7 months ago

Trevor G wrote:

I dropped Pentax in 2011 and sold everything except for a faulty *istDS2, predominantly because their quality control is so abysmal.

Out of 20 odd Pentax lenses I had only one, the FA50 f1.4, that appeared to not be badly decentred, or suffer from skewed focus.

My K200D and subsequent K-x could not focus them accurately.

I shifted to Nikon and haven't had any sign of lens issues from the 8 or 9 I have bought. Most were used, one or two new.

For various reasons I reacquired a K200D (OK, I like CCD output) a week ago and ordered a new DA-FT50 f1.8. They sell for $159 on eBay via the local importers, but don't tell anyone.

I hooked it up and, you guessed it, left side is sharp on my local railway station, right side is fuzzy. Since it's eBay I can get my money back, but I would like to think that I could buy a Pentax lens that was straight.

Does anyone else have these problems? I know many review pages list the numerous attempts to get a non-decentred lens for their testing...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Don't ya know better than to shake the right side of your camera while taking a picture, Trevor? The right side will always be fuzzy if you do! 

Seriously, ummmmmm, although I also bought the F1.8 50mm, I did it ONLY because I was able to get a really good price for it from B&W when I bought my K-5IIs after Christmas (a bit less than $150). That lens has A PLASTIC MOUNT! Why I never! I still didn't believe it until I actually had it in my hands! A PLASTIC MOUNT!!! Ya get what you pay for. If you're trying to see how good of a lens Pentax makes these days, I'd say testing that lens on a camera that's 4 or 5 generations old IS likely NOT the best way to go about it!

I also own the DA* 16-50 and DA* 300, and I couldn't ASK for sharper lenses with better definition, color and clarity.

Again. You get what you pay for.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow