Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abouna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
70 year old needs help
4 months ago

My father has been shooting since the early 60's.  It's not that he's particularly old, but he's past the age of wanting to learn, he just wants to shoot.

That said, he shot a D40 for several years, with 18-200 VR, very happily.  A year or more ago we sold off his D40 and upgraded him to a D3200 with 18-55 to save on weight.  He also picked up a Ricoh GR.

Unfortunately things haven't worked out so well.  He constantly comes back to the D40 jpgs.  They are, I have to admit, nearly always tack sharp, rich and well exposed.  They look like Kodachrome's much of the time.  The same cannot be said for his shots from the newer 3200/18-55 combo.  Nor the Ricoh.

Truth be told I realize both of these cameras are surely able to match the D40 but I think the D40 was so perfectly engineered for no mess jpg shooting that the results, as we all know, were stellar for the intended audience.  He simply doesn't have the desire to master these two cameras.  He just wants pics comparable to his old D40.  I think also that the 18-55 may also be a bit of problem here, I don't think it can compare to the 18-200.

With that said, I'm looking for some direction.  Should I keep the 3200 and get better glass?  Is there another small body that might be worth considering?  How about the 5300 (I only mention it because he thinks he might use the articulating screen).

Lenses:  Is the 18-200 still worth getting?  What about the 16-85?  Is it on par with the 18-200?   He doesn't really need the reach of the 200 but would be disappointing in less sharpness.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3200 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow