Time to rethink the KIT LENS idea?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,219Gear list
Like?
Are you certain about that?
In reply to rogerstpierre, 7 months ago

rogerstpierre wrote:

Good idea, but the problem with this approach is that Pentax would have to be priced $300 more than the equivalent competition, and most people know too little to appreciate the difference that justifies the higher price, hence they wouldn't sell entry level cameras to anyone. Sad, but unfortunately true.

-- hide signature --

Roger

Are you certain about that?

Prices in the lens realm are also a matter of perception and persuasion. The so called f-stop differentiation has been around for a long, long time, and f3.5-5.6 lenses were kit lenses in times of 35mm film!

I see it as a continuation of the psychological barrier imposed before, rather than a factual barrier that incurs new cost. As Mike noted, kit lenses were F3.5-5.6 on film FF, then they really should be F2.3-F3.7 on APS-C or, more realistically, F2.8-4 on APS-C.

So what is sold today as a kit lens in crop sensor kits is the f5.6-8 from the age of film (in terms of light gathering). So I believe that we today are ripped off.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow