Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Time to rethink the KIT LENS idea?
7 months ago

Instead of mucking around in endless circles with variations on the same theme when it comes to kit lenses, I would rather suggest Pentax turns a new chapter and makes:

• all “normal” lenses a constant f4 aperture, nice quality glass, and
  • higher-end lenses at f2.8 or f2 (where applicable) for those who need more.

So instead of endless 18-55/3.5-5.6 iterations, make just ONE: say, 17-50/f4, with better glass. The quantity of sales will justify the investment. And then seal the deal.

And that is the quality incentive loud enough to draw attention and buy the Pentax camera and the system in the first place, and convinces people to stay longer with the brand.

Boring variations of the same f3.5-5.6 kits are seen everywhere, across all Japanese camera makers, and they mean nothing. It's a repetitive formula that I sincerely doubt it works. In today's camera market, it strikes me more like "being penny wise, and pound foolish." Which means, caring more about little costs now, but caring less about losing a LOT in the long run. User's loyalty today means everything and is a difference between staying in business and going out of business.

That is one, and, I believe, primary reason people switch brands — users never experience better quality lenses from day one, or lenses that make a helluva lot difference in image quality and, from there, users never experience higher esteemed value of the system. And that is why they don't invest in new lenses. Incentive to buy new lenses (main profit for the camera maker) come only from a good lens. Otherwise people think it's a camera problem, and switch brands.

What are users thoughts on this?

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow