Do they let Olympus designers out at night?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
Do they let Olympus designers out at night?
4 months ago

Do they actually meet real people, including perhaps real photographers?

Here the latest instance of Olympus menu design that strikes me as wacko:

I rarely shoot video but wanted to try it recently. Video on my Canon G1X is very sraighforward: press the red button and notice that the viewfinder says it is recording video. Including  sound of course.

i did the same thing  with my recently acquired Olympus EM10; it was a video of a speech by a friend and business associate. I wanted to give him the video as a gift. I got a great video as far as visual was concerned but later noticed that the camera had not recorded any sound at all.

A trip through the crazy menu (they can't let the menu designers out at night, they would get hopelessly lost)  showed that the default sound for video is "off" !!

This is crazy; if i were set as a default to some intermediate audio position, like any sane camera, the first time user would have video accompanied by sound. If the user decided he didn't like sound after all, it could be turned down to zero for replay, using  the menu system.

This would be a much better arrangement: it would protect the newbie user.

Grrrr!

Krugman

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow