How to autofocus action videos with systemcamera?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vesku
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105
Like?
How to autofocus action videos with systemcamera?
7 months ago

I have tested many ways to shoot sports and action with GH3 and tele lenses (45-200 and 100-300). Keeping subject in focus is tricky because of many reasons:

-if using too small aperture background interferences subject and autofocus goes easily to background. There are often high contrast stuff like fences or buildings behind subject.

-if using big aperture AF must work harder due to small focus area and lags sometimes behind.

-if using slow shutter speed movements blurs and AF thinks subject is not in focus and starts to hunt.

-if using too high shutter speed motion is choppy or strobo like but AF gets good samples.

-big aperture and slow SS needs an ND-filter. If you just choose normal video shutter speed (1/50-1/100s) in a sunny day, aperture goes to f16-22 and that leads to quality loss.

I have got best results with relatively big aperture (f4-f8) and high shutter speed (about 1/640s). When following subjects with blurred background high SS is not a problem and motion is good enough when using 60P. Autofocus is not going confusing with background and it follows subject quite good.

What do you think? Have you any tips or experiences. Manual focus is not an option for me. Maybe new GH4 is more clever with this. Is there anyone with Nikon V-series or Canon 70D with good results?

Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow