Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil_MI
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
Thrasher and Swallow
3 months ago

Caught the Thrasher in the morning on an old fence post with a green field background.  The Swallow was on a bird house on our property near the roadside. The male and female were both perched on the powerline watching me as I was about 30M from the birdhouse.  I had a small white feather from a Swan and walked into a clearing by the road and tossed the feather into the air and watched as the male swallow swooped down to grab it.  he took the feather and flew to his mate and they both flew off.  He flew high into the air and dropped the feather and then swooped down and caught it midair. He done that several times and then took the feather to his mate who perched back on the powerline, she inspected the feather and then he flew to the nest box and placed the feather inside.  I learned the feather trick years ago from a Swallow that was doing that behavior near a river where some swans had been preening and the small feathers would drift downstream and he would dive down and retrieve them from the waters surface.

phil

Brown Thrasher

Tree Swallow

Tree Swallow

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow