ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shutterbugza
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
HS50 as a alternative to Canon 400D
7 months ago

Hi There

In 2008 I bought a Canon 400D with kit lens, this was a upgrade for me from a Olympus SP500uz, a year later I bought a standard 70-300mm lens for the canon in hopes for getting more zoom for surf photography. Still been new to photography the canon proved way too complicated (to many settings and program feature etc) and hence stayed in it bag a lot, the Olympus ended up going faulty with its memory card reader and it to stayed in it bag. I ended up buying a cheap point and shoot Fujifilm with 10x optical zoom and used that as my every day and travel camera (which has since been replaced with my Nokia 808 and Lumia 1020).

So a few years have gone by and I have finally started learning to use the settings and program features and what I like to photograph to which I have found the lenses I have for the Canon are inadequate. My interests are still land based Surf Photography and I have taken a interest in macro photography (although I intend a bit of everything such as paintball, landscapes etc), a 300mm lens just does not have the reach needed for Surf Photography, so I am not interested in upgrading the current 300mm lens I have, and a decent 500mm lens is just unaffordable and as photography is a hobby it is just not justifiable either. A dedicated macro lens is pushing 1000USD and also not justifiable at the moment.

So I have been looking at an ultra zoom bridge camera as a replacement for the canon, I have taken a liking to the HS50, macro from 1cm and 1000mm manual zoom will come in handy for my interests, also been able to take the odd video clip of friends surfing will be a bonus (I’m not after cinema quality either). So the question is: considering my photographic interests would the HS50EXR be a good alternative for the Canon 400D?

Look forward to hearing your opinions.
Angie

Shutterbugza's gear list:Shutterbugza's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 600D +5 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow