Is this all I can expect from the 18-55mm kit lens or should I return it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
Is this all I can expect from the 18-55mm kit lens or should I return it?
4 months ago

I have picked up an A6000 and have paired it with the 18-55mm kit lens (SEL1855). There are a few reasons I prefer the 18-55 over the 16-50 PZ, but that's not what this thread is about.

I'm happy with the camera, but the performance of my copy of the kit lens looks awful to me. I don't expect corner to corner sharpness on a kit lens, but things start to get blurry not far from the centre and the corners are complete mush. Admittedly the example below is at f/3.5, but I tried it at f/8 and things were not a whole lot better.

I'd appreciate some feedback on the test shot I did below - I've included a centre and corner crop for easy comparison. It confirms what my test chart shots show, but here I at least wanted to get a more 'real world' performance indicator.

My question is, is this all I can expect from a kit lens or is there something wrong with mine and I should return it?

Straight out-of-camera jpeg

Centre crop

Top-right corner crop

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow