Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
braisim
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
A77/A77II dilemma
7 months ago

Last week my A77 was stolen from a bag checked in at Brussels Airport. I had lent my wife my camera for a trip to Dublin and she discovered it was missing upon arrival at Dublin. Luckily I had changed the lens, leaving only the 18-55 kit lens on the camera instead of the 16-50 or 16-80. And there were no images on the memory card.

I have now learnt never to put valuables in checked-in baggage!

However, leaving this aside I now have a dilemma about what to replace the camera with. For the short term I've picjked up an old A55 but longer term I will want to replace the A77. A lot depends on whether I get any satisfaction from insurance or the airline in terms of compensation.

Part of me really misses the A77 (which I'd only had since last September) and the camera is still available cheap (although I picked up the A77 for just €649 from the Sony Outlet and I still don't see any price as low as that). The other part of me is curious to see what the A77II could offer, especially in terms of better AF which could be useful. Sadly the GPS has been left off the new model but I'm curious to see if the new sensor offers worthwhile improvements over the A77. I must say I was a bit disappointed when using the A77 with external flash, as the camera seemed to consistently over-expose. Setting flash compensation at -1.0 as Gary Friedman suggests, is a work-around but doesn't help when if I want to use AUTO.

Clearly the A77II would require a good bit of investment over a straight replacement of the A77 but I might regret not upgrading if I don't take this opportunity.

Anyone have any thoughts?

braisim's gear list:braisim's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow