mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
Re: Just publish the interface
In reply to Impulses, 5 months ago

Impulses wrote:

Impulses wrote:

Independent developers aren't fairy dust, just because Oly publishes an open API for something doesn't mean they'll show up in droves.

While I think an independent developer could do a better you have a valid point. A better app for to replace the Panasonic image app would be very low volume and would have to compete with the completely free one from Panasonic. I am often amazed how bad free apps have to be before people will spend $5 to get one without ads that works really well.

I am not sure why you think transferring raw files is impractical. They are about 4 times larger but not everyone is a high volume shooter. Shooting raw a 16GB card is more than enough for a week long vacation in my case. I currently use a OTG cable and file manager but the process could be a lot simpler with an app to keep track of what files have already been backed up. I would trade longer transfer times for one less small item to keep track of. Whether or not I want to make that tradeoff should be my choice unless there is a technical reason that prevents it.

I get the impression right now these WiFi and the apps are regarded as pass/fail, that as long as the camera has WiFi how well it works does not matter. But it does matter. If camera companies do want to keep control of connectivity they need to start doing a better job of it. I already wrote a long rant in this thread about how I think they made location tracking clunkier than it needs to be. The remote control portion of the image app works pretty well for me but unless I start shooting JPEG the image transfer portion is useless. And the whole app has a sort of Windows 3.1 feel to it. As if "Meh, close enough" was not just the acceptance criteria but the design goal. WiFi and connectivity are increasingly important features that people consider while deciding what camera to buy. Having really good connectivity instead of just being able to add WiFi to the list of features on a press release would be a good selling point.

But there ARE technical reasons why adding RAW transfer over Wi-Fi wouldn't be a simple tweak of the existing app. Phones don't have a RAW viewer to begin with, so they'd have to code one from scratch or buy up one of the existing ones... Plus how do you select which one to transfer? That furthers complicates the process and the app.

Don't get me wrong, if they wanna add that as a quick and dirty hidden option I'd welcome it too, but I probably wouldn't use it much either. For quick sharing JPEG just makes more sense, and for RAW backups when I get in the car or to my hotel the OTG cable makes more sense because it's less of a battery drainer and much quicker (and can also be used with or without the camera in the chain).

Just shooting JPEG+RAW (if only for quick sharing) seems far simpler and there's very little downside besides a bit of (initially) wasted space. I think I'd rather have in camera RAW to JPEG processing like some Oly cameras do than Wi-Fi RAW transfers, tho having both would be great too. None of this is gonna be much of an attention grabber to the average buyer tho.

Well, you can send RAW over to IPADs with the Eye-fi system.  And you could presumably use Adobe's apps to process them.

For me I often set my camera to small JPEG + RAW and have OLY's app send the jpegs to the IPAD or IPHONE.  Then send it out from there.

Yes there is one more step to do.  But hey, the wifi connection between OLY cameras has improved tremendously since its initial launch (I had a bout where it would connect to my large ipad but not ipad mini in one room, connect fine in the other...and this during my kid's birthday party...), the process is reasonably fast and you can further put the photos through whatever app / collate you want.

For true social network sharing the Samsungs are the way to go.  My wife has laid her eyes upon a Samsung NX Mini; lets see how the experiment goes.

I have to send my RX100 off for that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow