A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
don1jam
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: For me the big difference is the lenses
In reply to J Birn, 4 months ago

I agree with your points. What I would like to add is that the A6000 is noticeably better at High ISO. This is probably negated by the fact the lens are often slower, and even if you use the adapter there is some lost of performance.

What would really make the E mount cameras shine are native primes as fast as the A mount equivalent.

At least the following native lens are needed for E-Mount

- 16-50mm f/2.8 APS-C

- 85mm F/1.4 prime

- 135mm f/1.8 prime

- 70-20mm f/2.8

Either that or they make a mirrorless A-Mount, or an A-mount that can lock up the mirror when frames per second is not important.

J Birn wrote:

If you want to use native lenses, then e-mount has no bright zoom lenses at all (no constant f/2.8 zoom lenses, for example), no longer zoom lenses (they zoom to around 200mm), and even the primes available at many focal lengths are often a stop or two slower than standard primes in a-mount (a lot of f/2.8 primes instead of f/1.4).

If you bought an a6000 and an adapter for a-mount lenses, then the adapter would be doing the AF for you, and you wouldn't necessarily get the AF speed or AF options advertised for the a6000 with a native e-mount lens.

In other words, with a a6000, you're at a disadvantage lens-wise, whether you use one of the limited selection of native e-mount lenses or you get an adapter and use a-mount lenses.

If I wanted something faster and more portable than my a99, the a77ii would seem like a smarter investment than the a6000, given the current lens line-up. Of course if they start selling some bright zoom lenses in e-mount that would change things for me, but I haven't even heard any rumors about brighter zooms under development yet.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow