Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
camelguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
135 f2 vs 180 f2.8 vs 70-200 f4
3 months ago

Wondering how these lenses measure up against each other.

As of now, my longest lens is the 85mm f1.8 - usually I'm perfectly happy within that range, and don't miss having anything longer shooting on a D7100. However, for a project I'm working on, I think I might regret it if don't extend my range. The thing is, size and weight is an issue - I'll probably be carrying quite a lot of stuff on my back at times while trekking in mountains - otherwise the 70-200 f2.8 would be a no-brainer, but I need something easier to haul around, especially because I don't often need to go long.

So, looking for something high quality but smaller, and have narrowed it down to the 135 f2, the 180 f2.8 or the 70-200 f4. I'm kind of leaning toward the 180, because it weighs the least of the three, is faster than the 70-200, longer than the 135, and cheaper than either. I know the 135 is supposed to be a great lens - I'm just not sure it'll give me enough of a length advantage over 85mm to make it worth carrying. And I've heard the 70-200 f4 is terrific - I'm just not sure it's worth the extra bulk over the 180 or 135. But I've also read the 180 can have some major purple fringing - any one have experience with that? How problematic is it?

Given these factors, which would you choose? Or something else completely?

thanks!

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow