PART 2- This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.05.24 -PART 2

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,549Gear list
Like?
Re: Unknown birdies a little further north ...
In reply to SHood, 7 months ago

SHood wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Great Shots! And very fine images here too!

I came across this fellow last week, VERY briefly as it flew off with my eye stuck to the EVF. So I have no other information. A warbler perhaps:

Unknown Bird near Britt ON on Georgian Bay.

This fellow hung around for a while, posing for the camera! Perhaps a finch?

Unknown Bird, a bit inland from the Georgian Bay Coast.

Can you ID these please?

Many thanks,

Tom

Very nice. The first is a male Yellow Warbler. The 2nd is a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The females of many small birds can be tricky as they usually don't have the same colouring as the male.

This is an image of mine of the same female Grosbeak from 3 years ago. The shape of the beak is the dead giveaway that it is from the Grosbeak family. I had just started birding at the time and didn't know what bird it was until l looked through some books.

Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak

And here is the more colorful male.

Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak

-- hide signature --

Those are great!  Many thanks.  I used to see lots of MALE Rose breasted Grosbeaks around here, but not so many lately (the last 5 years or so).  Same with Pine Grosbeaks and Evening Grosbeaks.  I never did learn to ID any of the females.

I will certainly try to find that Yellow Warbler again.  A neighbour in the area said that he saw one a week or so ago, but I didn't make the connection.  In a huge willow beside the shoreline of the Bay.  I hope that it is nesting there. Same  goes for the Grosbeak, which  I saw about a mile inland from the Bay.

Thanks a lot for the IDs and the extra pics.  Very fine!

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow