Camera Sales, A Global Perspective. It is not looking good...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?
Camera Sales, A Global Perspective. It is not looking good...
6 months ago

I see a lot of talk here about the best cameras like the A6000, the GH4 or the D4s. What folks ignore is the big picture, and how poorly camera sales are doing worldwide. Olympus is loosing billions while Canon and Nikon lead in a shrinking market.

From a technology standpoint mirrorless is advancing with working PDAF and DFD. From a consumer standpoint camera sales remain in a declining trend with compact sales lying dead. Canon and Nikon own 66% plus of the global camera market which is shrinking.

'11-2013 - Canon and Nikon still dominate with more than two-thirds of that market worldwide. In the US, it actually is worse: Canon and Nikon have over 80% of the interchangeable lens camera sales this year.'

I hope camera manufactures can weather this storm, but I think we shall see at a minimum some restructuring and potentially the loss of some of the weaker players.

When it comes down to it, a camera purchase regardless of if a DSLR, mirrorless, or a compact is a win for the camera community where camera sales are currently in decline. Many consumers are relying on the camera in their phone to capture any photos they require. My windows 7 phone has a fairly good camera inside as phones go, but for capturing good images the phone is really lacking. Unfortunately many consumers disagree with me and are not very interested in images beyond a low res shot to be shared via the web.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/mirrorless-market-news.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/06/more-doom-and-gloom-camera-sales-dropped-badly-in-2013-2014-off-to-bad-star

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Nikon D4s Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow