Why the Nikon 1 system would be my choice if I were buying a system today.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,032
Like?
6 months ago

I have 3 systems:

Nikon D5100, Sigma 150mm, Nikon 85mm, 35mm, & 18-70mm.

Sony NEX C3 & 5R (with EVF) and Zeiss 24mm & Zeiss 16-70mm.

Nikon V1 & 10-30 & 30-110mm. (did have the 18.5 and FT-1 which I plan to replace)

My photographic requirements are grandchildren, flowers, wildlife, & travel.

The D5100 and lens meet my requirements but has gotten to heavy and bulky for travel.

The Sony NEX with the Zeiss lenses are great for travel and good for the grand children but not for wildlife an flowers without additional expensive and heavy lenses

The Nikon V1 system with the addition of the 70-300mm lens would meet all my requirements.

If I were buying the system today I might get the V2 or V3, however I am very satisfied with the V1 10megs (prints upto 18"x12" @ 200 pixels/inch)

The V1 is solidly built and I like to use it in "P mode" using the lever to change f stop and shutter speed. I also like the 400 & 800 auto ISO limits.

The two lens V1 is $569 new at Nikon USA. added the 70-300, $1,000, plus the 18.5 and a flash and J1 for back up and the system is under $2,000.

Sony NEX equipment would cost about $3,000 (but the Zeiss lenses are worth the additional $$$) but does not meet all my needs.

The Nikon System about $2,500 but is too heavy for me.

If I went with the V3 & EVF the total cost would be about $3,000. As much as the NEX equipment and the trade off is the Zeiss lenses vs a system which meets all my needs.

IQ from all 3 systems is acceptable for my needs.

So when some complain that the Nikon 1 system is overpriced I would disagree. You just can't look at one piece and say its over priced. You have to see what the total cost is to meet your requirements.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm & 16-70 E Lenses, Nikon D5100 + 35mm, 85mm & Sigma 150mm lenses, Nikon V1 + 10-30 & 30-110 lenses.

Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow