Photo Rights: Taken in a group rental home?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wolfeflow
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Photo Rights: Taken in a group rental home?
7 months ago

Hi all,

I am part of a group rental house. There are ten of us staying here while we are exchange students, and a few weekends ago we had a party. I am a party photographer, so I decided to take photos of people having a good time at our party.

I put the photos on Facebook, with a caption dating the party and a request that anyone who used one of the photos linked to me in their caption "Photo by @Oliver Wolfe."

A few days ago, I found out that the company that owns the rental house, that has a Facebook page, had put up several of my photos without either asking my permission or giving me credit. I asked the owner to either take the photos down or to give me credit, and she took them down. But at the same time, she told me that, since the photos were taken inside her property (the house), that they are her property.

I was under the impression that 1) any photo I take outside of a contract is automatically copyrighted to me and 2) Since I am a paying renter, I am a resident of her rental house and she does not have ownership precedent over me for taking photos on "private property" that, in my opinion, I have every right to enter and exit at my pleasure (I have a room, a key, and an agreement to live there in exchange for rent).

Who is in the right here, and what should I tell to her?

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow