Is it still good to buy GR IV ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it still good to buy GR IV ?
In reply to rondom, 7 months ago

rondom wrote:

Back when it was launched, the GRD 4 had a two year old sensor in it. (that makes 14 analog years, same coefficient as dog/human years). Ricoh unfortunately used exactly the same sensor that they used in GRD3. But it was a more sophisticated camera otherwise...now that sensor is about 5 years old.

The more I use the GR, the more I miss the GRD series, to be honest...but when compared with today's sensors, those sensors are hopeless at best.

now, it would be borderline idiotic to hope for a new small sensor camera from Ricoh, but the fact is that a quality small sensor camera with a fast lens and a modern sensor can be much more versatile and efficient than the GR with APSC.

It would be nice with another small sensor Ricoh like a GRD or a GX300 with that 21-84mm zoom which Ricoh filed patent for quite a while back. Nikon for example has shown with their Coolpix P7700, 7800 and P330, 340, that the latest 1/1.7" 12mp still can achieve pretty good results.

Still I would prefer Ricoh to go with a 1" sensor instead like that one from Aptina. The 21-84mm zoom was for a 1/1.7" sensor and I doubt that Ricoh is going to use that patent to produce a compact camera. http://photorumors.com/2013/04/20/the-latest-patents-from-ricoh-canon-and-sony/

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow