Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jburrows500
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
5D Classic and Fill Flash Question
2 months ago

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jburrows500/sets/72157644835332725/ I went and purchased a 430exII Friday night in anticipation of my daughters prom Saturday. The purpose of the flash was simply to add fill light for the outdoor shots and try to minimize the shadows. Mistake #1 as you might expect.. not allowing adequate time to become familiar with the flash.camera set up. I like to use available light and my 1.4 50mm works pretty good in that regard but wanted a fill light mostly. I made the purchase knowing I wasn't going to have much say in where the 15 girls stand, will they be facing the light, will the light be behind them, etc.. all I had was, "pictures at 4pm Dad"..

I purchased the only diffuser they had.. a simple nylon box that fit over the end of the flash. I shoot 95% of the time in aperture priority and stayed with what I felt comfortable in. I started off turning down the flash to -3 as I noticed when I shot wide open 1.4 the exposure was blown out. I didnt help a lot. Going to 5.6 was fine but I obviously lost the creamy background I was going for with some close portrait shots but worked fine obviously for larger groups.

Could someone let me know what might work better next time? I love taking shots in the 1.4 to 2.6 range.. love the look of creamy backgrounds which in this case I was not able to achieve often, and when I did I couldn't figure out why it worked one time, then blew out the exposure another time..

I did however learn I could never be a wedding photographer as I watched 15 girls line up in front of a very busy background full of bushes, branches, etc.. instead of a just walking 100 feet to the left where there was a beautiful water scene with setting sun light that would have been reflected beautifully upon their faces.. lol

Here is a sample of a few pictures..  Your advice would really be appreciated.. want to get better.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jburrows500/sets/72157644835332725/

jburrows500's gear list:jburrows500's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow