Sony HDR-CX900 hands-on review and testing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Anderegg
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: Sony HDR-CX900 News Footage Testing (day)
In reply to markber, 2 months ago

Oh yeah, sorry, go the replacement last weekend.  It suffers from the same slow focus issue as the original.  So it can be safely said that this is a design problem with these cameras and not a defective unit.  if you will be relying on autofocus for anything other than bright sunlight, I suggest you look into alternative models.  I can't say for sure if the AX100 does the same thing, but it appears to be the exact same camera just with the 4K function enabled.

Thankfully I have found the manual focus to be good enough to "get me by".  I manual focus on about 500 feet away at full telephoto, and then shut the camera off.  This way, when I power back on, it will not be in macro when I try to zoom in!  It's annoying, but it is a workaround.  Shouldn't need a workaround for a $1500 camera.  If I had known about this autofocus issue previously, I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAMERA.  It doesn't have the low light sensitivity to justify itself to me, as I expected it to.  It's no better than my Panasonic x920, but it does have a better image quality, and much better manual controls.

Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow