Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stljrs
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
D3300......or D5300 - Costco
3 months ago

I'm an Oly E-510 user that needs a new camera.  It's just not a good indoor/low light camera.  I want to move to Canon or Nikon,  if anything due to lens availability.  If I'm honest with myself, while I understand the basics of exposure, aperture, shutter etc, I'm mostly going to point and shoot.  I might play with aperture if trying to get special pics/portraits of the kids to blur the background.  These two models are available as two lens kits from Costco with the 5300 getting the 55-300 telephoto and the 3300 the 55-200 as the second lens.  I believe the 3300 comes with the WiFi dongle at Costco.  Price difference is $350 between the two (750 vs 1099).  That difference would get me the 35MM F1.8 prime and cash to spare if I got the 3300.

I love the Nikon's High ISO low light performance.  I am considering the Canon Ti5 also but the new Nikon sensor blows it away and I have a video camera so I'm looking at picture performance first and Nikon seems to be tops there.  So given how I will use the camera, is it really worth the extra $350 for the 5300?

I saw the write up on the ISO issue being buried in the menus.  I guess tell the wife to keep either camera on P instead of A so it will ramp the shutter speed and ISO up if zoomed in so she won't have to worry about slow shutter speeds?  That's the only thing that gives me pause about the Nikon.  Will it be easy for her to operate?  I know I can adjust.

Thanks!

Nikon D3300 Nikon D5300 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow