mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,525
Like?
Re: mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?
In reply to n3eg, 2 months ago

n3eg wrote:

I view things the opposite way: Phone manufacturers have tried for too long to cram too much into phones. The result is that phones have become "sporks" - i.e. trying to do too many things and doing none of them well. Every thing on a smart phone is a compromise, where something bigger can always do any given dedicated task better. Even the touch keypad suffers in performance compared to a dedicated keypad when dialing. Using the Shazam app for music ID is an example of their erratic performance - in the last version of Android, it would switch pages unless you were VERY careful selecting the app button, then once in the app it was nearly impossible to hit the back button to get to where you "tag" music. By that time, the song on the radio was over.

Until smart phones can do better, they're just the equivalent of a point and shoot with basic photo editing built in. Kodaks could do that years ago. Nothing more to see here, move along.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

Wow. Apparently a bad experience with one app has you dismissing the value of smartphones-if I understand correctly? What you decry being a "spork" is exactly why smartphones are replacing computers for most people when it comes to accessing online content, keeping calendars et al. A smartphone doesn't do certain things as well as a computer/laptop or dedicated camera because it's not expected to do those things as well as dedicated devices. What a smartphone is expected to do, and does in increasingly improved ways, is offer a portable replacement for several other devices.

Perhaps you haven't really tried using a smartphone as a smartphone, and instead think it's supposed to be used as a complete replacement for other devices?

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://eyeguessphotography.com
http://livegigshots.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow