mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?
Re: mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?
In reply to sderdiarian, 4 months ago

Strongly disagree here. I'm a geek, relatively young, I've bought plenty of smartphones and tablets (4 & 2 respectively, counting Android devices only), I cam also tell when one interface really fits a usage pattern or not tho. Touchscreens aren't a panacea or fit all solution, and larger isn't necessarily better, even on phones. I'm 5'10" and I'd actually prefer a more compact phone like a Moto X (even though I'm currently using a Nexus 5). Just because you like a larger device or don't know/care why direct physical controls are often faster doesn't mean that mold fits everyone.

Smartphones adopted a touchscreen only UI because it fits their simplified usage model and slide out keyboards were too cramped, I can run rings around my phone on a laptop tho and I can run rings around that on my desktop's mechanical keyboard. To me the current hybrid implementations with touch for AF and image browsing plus menus that can be navigated thru a touchscreen or buttons is the best approach. No matter how elegant a touch UI you have you'll never approach the speed of dedicated/programmable buttons for direct access to specific functions.

Wi-Fi remote control and image sharing is awesome tho, big part of the reason why I chose a Panasonic with a lesser sensor over an Oly, and I chuckle when people dismiss those features as useless gimmicks. Apps are unnecessary tho, why burden a camera with a full fledged mobile OS and the necessary computing horsepower when you can just quickly transfer images to your always connected and more capable phone? Just seems redundant... Maybe one day if mobile carriers get bent and they allow me to have one SIM that I can share across a bunch of devices easily (or better yet, one account with multiple SIM but the same line) I could see the point of a camera with apps etc.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow