Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,208
Like?
Re: Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?
In reply to Steve Nachlas, 4 months ago

Steve Nachlas wrote:

Good points Tom. Or say if another manufacturer such as Panasonic, Sigma or others bring out their own 12 mm lens in black with a good quality plastic build at a price of say $699 or $799. Hmmm...

-- hide signature --

There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Hmm indeed Steve, considering that Panasonic "throw in" their dinky little good performing 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 IS zoom with the GM1. You can buy a whole outfit for much the same price as the Olympus 12/2.0 silver version alone and certainly for less than the black limited edition version if one can still be found.

I really like the little kit zoom and am pleased with the results.  But as usual it is horses for courses and the kit room is a whole lot slower the the 12/2.0 lens. Therefore the 12/2.0 becomes a more special-purpose acquisition and if your needs are not really low light and wide then the kit zoom might serve the purpose very well especially with the helper image stabilisation to cover the shortfall.

Of course IS, ISO capability, or not we are into different territory with these lenses. The purchase of the 12/2.0 alone might press it into being a more widely used lens but if you have the kit zoom as well then the 12/2.0 must retreat into a more niche style of effective usefulness where it does excel in the purpose for which it was primarily designed.

Whether it is worth the money is another issue.  I think mine was even at the black lens premium. The silver lens must represent something of a bargain for a high performing wide AF lens made out of real metal.  Perhaps this is a better way to look at it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow