Maui - First Photo Post

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
javyNJ
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: Maui - First Photo Post
In reply to boxerman, 7 months ago

Boxerman, again, thanks for taking the time to craft a well written response. Please don't think that I'm being defensive, combative or argumentative. I'm sincerely coming from a place of little knowledge and wanting to learn. I didn't mean to put you on the spot, but I'm hungry to learn and you're the sucker who happened to engage

It's very helpful for me to hear how people examine and judge a photo as well as their thought process as they setup and ultimately capture one.

Also, please don't refrain from the technical comments. It may not make these captures any better but it's certainly helpful for future endeavors. The only way to change any shortcoming is to understand and recognize them so as not to repeat them. If you have anything to add beyond whats already been said (or if you'd like to emphasize a point thats been made) please do so. It may bruise my ego now, but what doesn't kill us... Ultimately, if I were looking for an ego stroke I would just send these all to my mom for her feedback

I'm gonna take a stab at doing exactly what I asked of you for one of my own photos, because like you said, it is a good exercise to try and explain...

#2 (since I haven't seen any comments on it except for one). I sat watching that sunset for a while trying to find the interesting part of it. On its own it was beautiful, but not noteworthy. As you said, "I've seen this before". Then they turned the lights on and I saw this interesting juxtaposition of the beautiful natural light and the beautiful (to me) man made lamps. The idea that both lights, despite different origins, signaled the same thing, the ending of the day. I also loved the ray of light streaming through the clouds. I saw this as nature's last effort to hold onto the day. Trying to get the last word if you will. Speaking to Bob G's comment about the horizon being too low, I think if I remember correctly there as something or someone in the water that I didn't want in the shot, and at the time I wasn't confident in my ability to remove it in post.

#7 - There were 2 things I liked about this shot. First, the idea of observing the observatory had some ironic significance in my head. The second thing was the surreal quality of this; the clouds as a pseudo-ground for the sun to set on, the different textures of the clouds at this particular moment. I feel like this is something that most people won't ever have the opportunity to see and it really captured the grandness of the moment.

It's interesting to realize that regardless of what I felt at the moment, most aren't connecting in the way I did. I guess ultimately the goal is to close the gap in that discrepancy.

Thanks again to Boxerman and everyone else who took the time to comment. This has been really helpful for me as I'm already looking at my photos through a different lens (pun intended). I already regret posting #1 as its about as mundane a shot as I could have posted!

javyNJ's gear list:javyNJ's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow