Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mountainfuji
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
14mm vs 56mm versatility?
2 months ago

I do mostly landscape, travel, street and party photography, and I currently own a 23mm and 35mm, and I am loving both! Recently I've been thinking about adding a third lens to my setup - either the 14mm (or fabled 16 when that arrives) or the new 56mm.

Is there a point in going with the 56 other than taking portraits? It looks like a brilliant lens but I'm concerned that it's a little tight for daily use and I'd only pull it out on few occasions (which wouldn't be enough to justify the $999 price tag). If I'm at a party (backyard or indoors), would it be too tight to take pictures of multiple people with context or would I have to switch out to the 35 when I want a bit more than one person's face or upper body?

The 14 looks like it has a great focal point for landscape or travel photography, but on the other hand, would it be too wide for taking pictures of people, at events, and only suited for landscape?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any thoughts!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow