Help: I think I have decentered lens neurosis :)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Help: I think I have decentered lens neurosis :)
7 months ago

Seriously, though. I bought an A6000 and 16-70 bundle and have a little less than one week left to the exchange period. Unfortunately, my shooting time has been limited since I received it, but I generally have been happy. I then started taking some obligatory pics of walls at different settings, etc and analyzing the corners at 100% and THAT is where I went wrong.

I am seeing more softness on the left, particularly the upper left corner, but I would be the first to admit that my tests are not scientific and I am not sure whether the differences I am seeing are lens related or due to other things. I don't have a tripod other than a gorillapod, so the pics I have been taking are hand held.

I simply would like to make sure I have a good copy of the lens before committing to it. Any suggestions? (and yes, I saw the recent thread about testing for a decentered lens, but I guess I just don't have enough confidence in my ability to determine whether an issue exists). I did post a dropbox link some time ago to some photos of a house that I took at different apertures and focal lengths, but did not receive any feedback.

Here is a link again if anyone is interested (there is a file with the exif data provided).  I can also post the pictures to my gallery if that would be easier, but the files are too large to upload the images without downsizing.

Test files

Any (polite) help/insight is greatly appreciated.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow