mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,172Gear list
Like?
Re: mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?
In reply to sderdiarian, 2 months ago

I strongly disagree. A camera is a photography tool not a communication device. Photography asks for completetely different ergonomics and handling paradigms than any smartphone and communication device.

Bigger screen required? Nope. WiFi connection to transfer images to a tablet or smartphone? Nope. I have my iPad card reader with me, and whenever I feel it necessary to transfer images to my tablet, I is easy enough to use the card reader. I usually have no desire to have my images in sync with my communication device.

Todays cameras, like E-M5, GH4 or E-M1 are very adequate tools for photography, probably the best so far in camera history. No need for a paradigm shift to adapt to the so called "smartphone generation". It is nonsense that smartphone users won't adapt to the ergonomic paradigm of a camera body. Any user with practice in mind would not replace an E-M1 ergonomics in favor for touch driven operation.

Also, apps don't add that much to photographic work. Correct exposure, composition, and intuition is still the key factor. I have no desire for a camera full of software gimmicks and which would have a software platform open for insecurity.

We don't have to sacrifice everything for current hypes.

Photographers of course will use smartphones for casual snapshots or business documentation, when this fits better to the purpose. But, honestly, I don't see this has photography in its proper sense.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow