Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Phottix Odin - first day out
7 months ago

Had the first opportunity to try out the Odin wireless flash controller in the field as it were and the kit performed flawlessly.

A few comments however. Slightly worried about the build quality. At this price point (£300 for the twin receiver set in the UK), I would have expected a slightly more robust housing. Not to say they are flimsy, not at all but the pocketwizard plus iiis I also own are a lot more solidly made - really chunky if that doesn't sound a silly word to use. Obviously these units which have internal antennas can't be made of metal (blocks radio waves) but a good quality, even rubberized plastic would give confidence.

The lack of a direct throughput hot shoe on the transmitter is a pain. As a consequence you cannot have on-camera as well as off-camera flash. The way round this is to have a camera mounted right-angled flash bracket and use a receiver/flash on this. This of course uses another receiver from your limited arsenal.

For last night's set up I had a sb600 on the flash bracket with an older Nikon sb26 for the backlight. Of course there is no ttl control on the older flash which was set up manually on 1/4 power.

For some reason the SB600 when used alone overexposed by one stop when used via the Odin wireless link. No problem just dial in a minus value either on the controller or the flash itself to suit.

Overall I am very well pleased. AA batteries, "normal" or rechargeable can be used throughout - GREAT - no more faffing around looking for obscure button cells. Fantastic to be able to use high speed sync and ttl control unlike the dumb (no offence) pocketwizard plus.

Improvements could be as noted ie. a through hot shoe on the controller, better build and perhaps programmable auto battery switch off. Well recommended at least so far!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow