mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,273Gear list
Like?
mFT/camera industry: time to better adapt to smart phones?
7 months ago

My iPhone 4S has served me admirably but my company tells me its time to upgrade. I've boiled it down to the LG G3 with a 5.5" touch screen (being announced Tuesday) or waiting a few months for the iPhone 6 with its smallish 4.7" screen, but equally smaller and lighter body.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-6294.php

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6/

Both have a multitude of apps for photography and photo sharing, important since one will be my work horse for site and construction photos (I'm a landscape architect, so I do a lot of this). No need for a "true camera", in fact I'd look dated using one in situations where smart phones are now customary.

I reserve my E-M5 90% of the time for recreational photography and photos of built projects, i.e., where better IQ provided by a larger sensor and quality lenses matters. But much as I like my E-M5, I wonder when it and newer gen bodies will adopt larger screens and accept the use of apps for easily "growing" their potentialities as photographic instruments.

To ask those who find smart phones capable multi-purpose communication platforms to take a major step backwards in apps and screen size when buying a camera is simply unrealistic to me.

I'm now thinking of "downgrading" to an E-M10 primarily for its Wifi capability, allowing me to use my phone's much larger screen to preview photos in the field and then share them. For this camera user, purchase of smart phones and cameras are no longer exclusive; rather, they're ideally viewed as complimentary devices.

For smart phone users, buttons have long ago gone the way of the dodo bird, and cameras are headed that way with improved implementations of touch-panels. So devoting greater real estate to a screen size where you can actually see what you're shooting would seem reasonable.

My crude mock-up of an LG G3 shows just how small 3" camera LCD's are when compared to those accepted as commonplace in smart phones:

Perhaps mFT manufacturers and the camera industry in general should stop just giving lip service to this rapidly growing and much more pervasive market as their own sputters, but instead truly adopt useful features and make their products more easily compatible.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow