Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Which 18-300, Nikon or Tamron?
7 months ago

I currently use the Nikon 18-140 as a walkaround lens on my D7100 and have found it remarkably good for a "kit"  lens. I appreciate, as always, these lenses are not as good as a prime, especially on the short and long ends and that they are always a compromise.

However they do serve a purpose, at least for me, and I'm tempted by both the new Nikon 18-300 and the Tamron 16-300 and have looked at first reports on the third party lens forum for the latter. These early reports are quite encouraging but I am someone who, all things being equal, would rather stick with Nikon lenses. But all things aren't quite equal in that the Tammy starts from 16mm which is a useful extra 2mm and in the UK is roughly £100 cheaper.

So I guess I'm looking for a reason to go with the Nikon but I'm having a problem finding one. I understand many forum members would tell me not to go for a superzoom anyway (and I understand and respect the reasons behind this) but for me one of these would be a useful addition to my lens collection.  So I'd welcome any thoughts from forum members, especially reasons to stick with Nikon only despite the advantages of the Tamron which I've mentioned.

It may be that I need to wait a while for more user experiences of the newer Nikon before a decision but any comments in the meantime would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Nikon D7100 Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow