Mulling an A7 over my current Canon 6D - thoughts?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JustinOez
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Mulling an A7 over my current Canon 6D - thoughts?
3 months ago

Hi all!

I joined this forum to solicit some advice from people with more experience.

I currently have a Canon 6D that I mostly use for travel / landscape photography and a lot of other random photography. It's a bit bulky and I've never loved the results. I do love the results that I get from my Sony Rx1, which is less versatile. For this reason, I'm thinking about switching to the Sony A7 or A7R because they're lighter and because of my experience with the RX1.

While traveling I usually have my Canon 24-105 L and Zeiss 50 2.0 macro. Apparently the FE 55 1.8 is super sharp and should replace my 50 for most uses. The reviews of the Zeiss 24-70 are rather mixed though. Has anyone else jumped from Canon lenses to the FE lenses? I'm considering using an adapter, but I've heard mixed reviews about AF speed through an adapter and the lenses would be massive on the A7.

I'll miss the close focusing and extra 35 mm of zoom, but my back may thank me for the reduced load.

In sum...

A7 vs A7R - Leaning towards the A7 as I've heard it's slightly more forgiving and has slightly better AF.

Adapted Canon lenses vs native lenses - leaning towards native, though I may miss my current glass.

Has anyone else made a similar jump? If so, what were your experiences?

Thanks!
Justin

Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow