Thanks Pentax for the largest selec... of APS designed lens

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
starbase218
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Thanks Pentax for the largest selec... of APS designed lens
In reply to jamesm007, 6 months ago

Pentax has released a WR super telephoto lens of 560mm, equal to a 840mm in FF. You can't dismiss it because its price is competitive with Nikons and Canons offerings.

It also has far fewer lens elements. So the lens is probably a lot cheaper to make for Pentax. Makes you think about what you are actually paying for.

F/stop, for low light shooting? Well if shooting on a tripod there is no problem for any lens/dSLR. If shooting hand held because all Pentax Primes have Shake Reduction this give them superior low light ability versus many other dSLRs. Unless the object is moving. Then with Pentax dSLRs you just turn up the ISO. Shallow DOF, that's being done more in PP these days.

Some people seem to think only Pentax DSLR's can do this. Sure, the sensor in the K-5 series is very good, and maybe the K-3 is on the same level, but the Nikon D7000 has a sensor very similar to the K-5. It is safe to say it will deliver the same high-ISO image quality, as confirmed by e.g. the DXOmark tests. And Nikon has a cheap 35/1.8. As to where shallow DOF is being done, speak for yourself. I only have Adobe Lightroom For PP. Besides, there is more to consider then just noise when going up in the ISO range.

I am putting the horn down. I guess no brand gives everyone buying a dSLR system, everything in a dSLR and lens line up they want. But some brands will fit your needs better than others.

Well, that's nothing new. I want a compact high-quality system, and Pentax seems to focus on APS-C whereas others want you to go fullframe. But with APS-C, you already loose about a stop in shallow DOF/noise performance. Then Pentax also has a very limited range of fast lenses (say f/2 or smaller). They have 5 primes between 31 and 40mm (6 if you expand this to 43mm), yet only 1 prime from 20 to 28mm, and quite a slow one too. If that makes sense to you, thay's great. To me, it doesn't. The optics of the new Limited zoom don't seem to be that good and the lens is priced absurdly. I hope they sell none of those, so that they realize there are people who actually want good value for money and not a way to sponsor Ricoh. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. With this kind of pricing, I was almost surprised that the TC goes for less then 600 euros.

Of course, it's not all bad. I love my 12-24, 17-70 and 55-300 (most of the time anyway). The 35/2.4 is a great optic too, but I would really like it to be half a stop faster. And that's not an outrageous request, given that others manage to do it for a similar price. The 70/2.4 is a jewel too. But I also own the 16-50 and 50-135, and I still don't know what to make of those. The DA* line is in desperate need of an update.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
APSNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow