Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,237Gear list
Like?
Roses with a6000 and 55-210
7 months ago

Roses hit their prime this week here in the city of roses (Portland, OR). Here are some from my back yard.

They're all shot with the 55-210 lens. The 2nd shot is just the 55-210. Shots 1, 3, and 4 have the Raynox 250 attached to the 55-210. Flash is hand-held Metz AF 52-1 triggered from the pop-up flash of the a6000. I tape a 5x7 index card to the flash head and then use my finger to bend the card so it bounces the flash giving me diffuse lighting for closeups like this.

When using the Raynox and 55-210 (or any telephoto zoom for that matter), the focus range is minuscule, so I put the camera in manual focus and then just set focus by moving the camera. Focus peaking helps let me know when it's in focus. You might be tempted to think a tripod would be a good idea for this sort of shooting, but it's not. I need to move around to get the composition and at these close distances a tripod just wastes time. Plus the effective shutter speed is set by the flash which is extremely fast (usually much faster than 1/1000s).

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow