Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Olydude
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?
In reply to Dheorl, 7 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

Olydude wrote:

That's the whole point... You're not learning anything about focal lengths or why they exist, or why there has been standard focal lengths such as 24, 28, 35, 50, 90, 100, and 135mm for such a long time.

How are you not learning about focal lengths when using a zoom? With a zoom you're constantly changing focal lengths. You might not learn the angle of view of one in particular focal length quite so intimately, but why do you need to when if visualise it slightly wrong you can zoom. I've learnt all about the effect different focal lengths have on the look of a photo and as mentioned the only primes I've had are a fish-eye and a 25mm f1.4 (maybe I didn't mention it was the 25mm, meh)

You're not learning, because you're not actively thinking, you zoom to a length and think that's OK, that will do me. I've spent by now hundreds of hours getting to understand what you can and can't do at 12mm. You just stand there and zoom in, and inevitably just end up with another flat, boring, lifeless, snapshot.

You don't reason why, nor do you spend many hours working on composition with that focal length, nor do you think. You can argue that you're otherwise of the non 90% but for the 90% of people who use a zoom this holds trues. Zoom only photographers generally learn nothing about composition.

There is a specific and valid reason why these focal lengths are chosen more often than not by photographers, and that is that they suit the style of photography and have done so for so long that they are somewhat of a standard. That's OK if you don't want to adhere to that, but you should at least recognise that such standards exist for good reason.

Those focal lengths are chosen more often than not by photographers because most photographers are nothing if not traditionalists.

OK and another wonky argument about photographers being traditionalists that doesn't hold water. Call me when you submit for print in a journal and your photo has to fit a particular page size/dimensions.

Olydude's gear list:Olydude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow