Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,187Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?
In reply to Olydude, 2 months ago

Olydude wrote:

Zooms make you lazy and you never will really learn to compose with one,

I completely disagree with that statement.  Leading lines, framing, rule of thirds,/golden selection, etc can all be successfully implemented in a photo regardless of lens focal length and lens type.  You can learn composition with just about any lens.  I would know, I've taught a couple of thousand people over the course of 8 years to do just that - and I've seen many great shots from my students.

or move with your feet to get the best possible shot, or realise that an 40mm framed shot is a completely different shot to one that is framed at 12mm even if you're standing at an equivalent perspective.

duh.  but the 12-40 at 12mm gives the same equivalent perspective as the 12/2 does.

I wouldn't give up my 12mm if you paid me to... there are too many different equations out there to deal with where it gives a definitive advantage over a zoom.

Smaller size, lighter weight, slightly lower cost, it just looks cool (IMO), it's a stop faster.  But even all that isn't enough to replace a great zoom like the 12-40 in every situation.  Both lenses are great and people can choose whichever suits them best.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow