Do I need a 70-200mm f2.8L IS II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Phil Geusebroek
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Do I need a 70-200mm f2.8L IS II?
In reply to fishywisht, 7 months ago

fishywisht wrote:

You signed up for an account 13 years ago and now you ask a question like this?

You're assuming a lot about me.

Are you sure you know which way round to put your battery in?

Wow.  Wait: 

If you have an APS-C body and don't shoot with anything wider than f4 it could be easy to be ignorant of what subject isolation can do for your photos.

Really?  Why would you even go there?

If you just want to get noticed with a white Lens, don't worry. Most people are too ignorant to realise the f4 L is a lightweight.

One of the reasons I haven't bought the f2.8L yet is *because* it's large and white.  I would even have preferred a black option on the f4L.

To the contrary:  Most people buy the f4L IS **because** they realize it is a lightweight.  So give me a reason to hump the f2.8L around.

On telephotos and experience:

My first kit was an AE-1 with a 28mm, 50mm, and 70-210 f4 that a friend sold me for $105.

I've had non-IS FD 70-210mm f4, FD 80-200mm F4L, EF 70-200mm F4L.  I've used FD gear including AE1, AE1 Program, F1N, T90 with all manner of primes and zooms **except an 80-200mm f2.8**. With EF, I've been working with 100mm f2.8 Macro, 135mm f2L, 200mm f2.8L ii and 300mm f4L IS. I've had the 70-200mm f4L and now the f4L IS, **but never any generation of 70-200mm f2.8L**.  I've found the f4 zooms too slow unless I had a tripod, but didn't want to hump the weight of the f2.8 along with wide, normal, macro and 300mm.

So enlighten me:  What am missing about the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II  that makes it a lens that most working pros consider a given?  What have I been missing all these years?  Explain the situations and places where the f2.8L lens comes into its own.

If the intent of your post was drama, then congrats: you've won the internets...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow