Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raymond Cho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
Slow down on the DR, IQ etc .....
2 months ago

This might sound strange.  Are there anyone out there who prefers the older look with a photograph?

With the technology we have now we can do so much more.  I even heard one professional who is reputable who rubbs shoulders with other great pro's, not that they all do it but this guy does handhold a landscape shot at ISO 800  b/c the quality is so good and then just adds some NR.  He defaults his camera to ISO 400 with some at 200 not 100.

Even in the film days there were those would would expose Velvia 50 at 40 to bring up more of the shadows and or that it scans / prints better.  They get a better negative for a starting point for post processing.

For me.  Obviously I would use a digital camera for photo's of people and in low light like cafes and restaurants inside.  If it is a landscape or cityscape or a stree photograph, I prefer the lesser DR etc etc .. with the blocked up shadows and blown highlights.  If I go overseas and like we do take photographs.  Digital looks very slick and more IQ.  But when I walk down there I don't remember it like that.  There are things at night like foreground very dark and very bright neons / building lights.  I have read countless times of books by John Shaw - the ones in the 1990s and then you see his current webpage which are digital.  I prefer the ones from the 1990s.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow