Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,658Gear list
Like?
My first SX50 garden portrait of the season
5 months ago

While it was still raining out, the sun was trying to break through the clouds this afternoon, and since my friends here have asked when would I post new florals from this year's garden, I ventured out with my SX50. The gardens are finally alive with color, very late after the sub-zero (°F) winter and that seems to also have affected some of the colors. This Iris has a rather distinctive palette of shades that I don't remember from last year but found intriguing. So since I didn't want to get either me or the camera too wet, I quickly choose it for my first floral portrait of the year:

My first garden portrait of the year, taken during a light rain with the sun trying to break through the clouds.

I used a 500mm (equiv.) focal length wide open to try to separate the bloom from the background and add dimension. ISO 200 and the IS allowed a fast enough handheld shutter speed of 160th second to hold the sharpness of the lens as I shot kneeling in the wet grass. I depended on the lens hood to keep the falling rain off the front glass, but I did hurry nonetheless. I'm glad the very first image was a keeper. The raw image was processed in DPP. The color balance was adjusted to precisely match the tones of the bloom itself. If your monitor is calibrated and color corrected, you'll see the beauty of those tones that caught my eye. As usual when I use ISO 200 or higher, slight noise reduction was applied as well as a corresponding increase in low level sharpness to recover the details.

I believe we may have some sun tomorrow, so I might be out in my gardens with my SX50 once again.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome,

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow