Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
scullers
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Camera buying help: Nikon DSLR > Olympus OM-D
5 months ago

I've used Nikon for many years. I fell in love with an F3 with a single prime lens over 25 years ago beat it for over a decade (best camera I ever owned) and since gong digital have owned a range of Nikon DSLR's over the last 10 years. Since 2008 I've been using a D300 paired with a couple of great zoom lenses (17-55mm f/2.8G ED & 70-200mm f/2.8G ED).

I use the gear to record family outings, social events, holidays, hiking, camping. But in the last year or two I've taken it out less and less and instead relied on a Canon S90 to record anything that deserved better than an snap using an iPhone. I just spent a month in Europe on holiday with the family and though I took the gear used the Canon at least 70% of the time.

I should note that I hardly ever touch the larger zoom and when I do use the Nikon, take 99% of all images using the 17-55mm f/2.8.

The main reason for the neglect.. bulk.

That said, yesterday I went down to my local camera dealer with the intention of trading in the D300 and the 70-200 zoom for a D7100. The trade in would be practically $ neutral. What happened next took me by surprise.

The guy got me to play with a Olympus OM-D EM-5 and EM-1 and showed me a range of incredibly light yet seemingly superb lenses.

Loved the retro styling.

Loved how compact and light the system was.

3 issues..

1. I also played with the D7100 and feel it would be an excellent upgrade to the D300
  2. I have large hands
  3. I swore an oath to Ken Rockwell

So.. I'm considering handing over:

• Nikon D300 SLR Body
  • Nikon AF-S DX ZOOM-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED
  • Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED
  • Nikon SB 600 - Hot-shoe clip-on Fash

In exchange for:

• Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Olympus OM-D E-M1
  • M.Zuiko Digital 12-40mm f2.8 PRO
  • ?

I believe I'd get much more use to of the camera as it's so much more light in the bag. I am assured by the dealer that the quality of both the build and the images will not leave me wishing I'd stuck with Nikon.

If anyone else with a similar tale or has an opinion to share, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers Scullers

scullers's gear list:scullers's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow