Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,614Gear list
Like?
silver is classic
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 2 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Anyone know anything about this? I've been starting to think about buying the Olympus 12 mm lens and was looking for a black one - but they're out of stock almost everywhere I look (in the UK). Have they ditched the 'special edition' run and that's it, no more black ones, or are they planning to bring the black one out again, perhaps at a price that's closer to the silver one? I'm trying to decide whether to snap up a second hand one, grit my teeth and go for silver, or wait!

Hi Liz,

The black version seems to be gone.  I have the silver version since its introduction in 2011. I believe it has a classic look on any Pen camera; I have never owned an OMD. I use mine on an E-P5 and, to me, the silver finish just exudes style. I even purchased a made-for-Leica silver UV filter by B+W.  If your goal is low-key appearance, of course the black version is the way to go.

If black is your thing, I suspect you can find a mint copy for sale somewhere; perseverance will reward you. You can even have reputable places like KEH keep an eye out for you. Otherwise, the silver version is readily available from $500 to $800. I like silver so much that I also purchased a silver 75mm f/1.8 and have my eyes on a silver 17mm f/1.8. To each his/her own, and happy shooting!

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow