Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Olydude
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?
In reply to Neurad1, 7 months ago

Unless you want more depth of field, or better low light performance, or the compact size of the 12mm as the 12-40 is ridiculous in terms of it's size for what it offers, or a lens you can buy second hand for $500, as opposed to closer to $900 for the 12-40. There's many advantages to the 12...

On the other hand it doesn't give you the freedom of a zoom, which is a two edged sword of course. Zooms make you lazy and you never will really learn to compose with one, or move with your feet to get the best possible shot, or realise that an 40mm framed shot is a completely different shot to one that is framed at 12mm even if you're standing at an equivalent perspective.

I wouldn't give up my 12mm if you paid me to... there are too many different equations out there to deal with where it gives a definitive advantage over a zoom.

Olydude's gear list:Olydude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow