ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,337Gear list
Like?
Equivalence: read this, then argue
2 months ago

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm#quick

I sometimes get a bit tired of the old (and largely uninformed) debates around format wars, lenses of different format wars, iso wars, you name it... anyway, the above article should be required reading for any would-be participant. I've only skimmed through it and read through a couple of sections, it's already apparent that it's a pretty authoritative piece.

The advantages and disadvantages of different sensor sizes are rather more complex than would first seem apparent; as usual, choice of sensor size is about which compromises you want to make and which you don't. Absolutist judgement about "better" or "worse" systems simply aren't applicable. This is a good philosophical position.

I went to dinner last night with much-loved relatives, rejecting the X-T1, battery grip and 56 in favour of the X-E1 and 35; right choice, on grounds of size and weight. In terms of IQ, the difference is not huge so it was on the thin margin of physical difference that the choice was made, this with almost identical cameras, never mind formats or sensor sizes. The compromises we are happy with can be very finely balanced; let us respect that in each other.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow